August in the Valley might bring continued hot temperatures, but it also brings a ton of fun events to check out. From concerts to dance parties, what will be on your calendar for August?
Thursday, August 1st
– You can attend the opening reception of the collaborative exhibition “Inspired by History,” presented by the Chandler Museum and the Vision Gallery. The exhibit is described as using memory, continuity, and change over time through art that explores the connection between people and objects. 6-8pm, free.
View this post on Instagram
Imagine your mom’s most cherished scrapbook, filled with embarrassing baby pictures, missing teeth, and haircuts gone wrong, put on display at your local museum. Visit the Awkward Family Photos exhibit on its last week at our new Chandler Museum. Have a few of your own to share? DM us and we’ll share them on our story! #chandlermuseum Hours | Tuesday – Saturday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday: 1 – 5 p.m.
Friday, August 2nd
– McFadden’s in Glendale is celebrating their 10-year anniversary with a party both tonight and Saturday. You can buy a ticket that gives you entry to both nights for just $15, but there are also packages available that include bottle service! 9 pm.
– Gasolina Party is back in Phoenix at the Van Buren! The night brings DJs spinning music ranging from Latin trap to hip hop and reggaeton. Doors open at 9:30 pm, and the event is free before 10 pm. Tickets are $10 after 10pm.
Saturday, August 3rd
– Help paint a mural in the Roosevelt Arts District that will cover an entire parking garage. The event is free with registration, and you will be provided with all the supplies you need to help artist Kayla Newnam complete the work! Refreshments and music will be provided as well as water toys to help you cool down! 7am-10am.
– The Cure vs. The Smiths is a night dedicated to all of the new wave hits of the 80’s. The evening will feature tribute bands as well as DJs spinning your favorites from the bands and other groups from the time. Advance tickets are $8 for the 9 pm event.
Sunday, August 4th
– It’s Kickback Sunday at Paz Cantina – where a live DJ will be spinning your favorite old school hits and you can enjoy a variety of specials on food and drinks. From $10 margarita pitchers to 50% off select appetizers, it’s a great way to spend your Sunday. 12pm-6pm.
Monday, August 5th
– It might be a bit of an unexpected combo, but blink-182 and Lil Wayne are headed to the Ak-Chin Pavilion for a concert. blink-182 is celebrating the 20th anniversary of Enema of the State, which will be played in its entirety. Tickets start at $37.50, 7 pm.
Tuesday, August 6th
– Celebrate National Root Beer Float Day with a fundraising night at the W Hotel in Scottsdale. The night will feature floats made with ice-cold “Not Your Father’s Root Beer” and all donations are for the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital. 5-7pm.
Wednesday, August 7th
– Copper Blues is hosting a Beverly Hills 90210 Trivia night testing your knowledge on the iconic TV show that is set for a reboot in the future. 6:30-8:30 pm, free.
– Attend a meet and greet adoption event that features Josh the Doodle – a famous Instagram pup from the Valley (@joshthedoodle). Walter Station Brewery is hosting a night of dogs that need homes, great beer and food, and fundraising for the Arizona Animal Welfare League. 5:30-7:30pm.
Thursday, August 8th
– My Wine Cellar is hosting a blind wine tasting that will give you one hour to sample six wines and deduce what they might be. $30, 6 pm.
Friday, August 9th
– You can catch a show by bands Banana Gun and decker. as they head out on a tour through the state. This night at Crescent Ballroom, they’ll be releasing new records. Banana Gun is described as bluesy and eclectic, while decker. presents a soulful, moody narrative. $10, 8pm.
View this post on Instagram
Thanks to @travisengler for taking a break from his storm chasing adventures to get some BG shots. We really appreciate it. Flip over to his page and check out his work. Amazing! #indiemusic #bananagun #rocknroll #love #jammin #phoenix #photography #band #livemusic #fender #rogersdrums #cactusamps
– Party with a Purpose over at Valley Bar, where your $3 donation goes straight to the humanitarian organization of the month. Enjoy dancing to a range of beats for a good cause! 10 pm.
Saturday, August 10th
– Are you a brunch fanatic? The Downtown Tempe Brunch Crawl is for you! The $5 admission ticket will take you to 14 different brunch stops that are offering exclusive small bites and drink specials ($7 for different options). You’ll also get a pair of sunglasses and free parking. 9am-2pm.
Sunday, August 11th
– Maya Day and Nightclub are bringing in a DJ so that you can party it up and chill by the pool as a part of their Soundwave Pool Party Series. Free with RSVP, $10 general admission. 12 pm.
– Catch a live orchestral rendition of DR. DRE:2001. No Strings Attached is a production that combines a traditional orchestra with a modern live hip-hop music event. There will be performances from various DJ’s, lyricists, and singers. 7-10pm, $20 at the Pressroom.
Monday, August 12th
– Who doesn’t love a deal on lunch or dinner? Rott n’ Grapes RoRo allows you to choose four bruschettas and a bottle of wine $30 or under for just $25. You can also get a 32oz pitcher of beer and pizza for $20. 11am-9pm.
– It’s Marvel Mondays at the Casual Pint in Central Phoenix, and you can catch a showing of Captain Marvel. Grab a beer and enjoy! 6-8pm.
Tuesday, August 13th
– Attend a Creative Collaborative Jam at Fair Trade Cafe, where there will be a free writing workshop from 7-8pm and then a chance to share at the open mic from 8-9pm. It’s a great way to write new poems, stories, and more.
– Watch competitors battle to make the best drinks at Roger Clyne’s Mexican Moonshine Tequila Mix-Off. With general admission, you get dinner and sample sizes of all 8 competition drinks. $40, 7-10pm.
Wednesday, August 14th
– Alt-rock singer/songwriter Alex Lahey is heading to Valley Bar to promote her latest LP, The Best of Luck Club. Tickets are $14 for the 8pm show.
Thursday, August 15th
– The Jade Bar at Camelback Mountain Resort hosts a Latin night, where you can enjoy live music and tequila/mezcal inspired cocktail specials. 7-10pm.
– The Moth StorySLAM is a storytelling competition where local storytellers (and the audience) are invited to tell five-minute stories surrounding a topic. This month’s theme is “Animals.” $15 for the 8pm show at Crescent Ballroom.
Friday, August 16th
– Tucson-based Americana band Calexico is heading to the Orpheum Theatre with singer/songwriter Sam Beam (known by recording name Iron & Wine). The two joined forces to collaborate and create album “Years to Burn,” which was released in June of this year. Tickets available starting at $36.50 for the 7:30 pm show.
View this post on Instagram
Due to unforeseen circumstances Calexico and Iron & Wine are sad to report that the show tonight, Mon July 29th in Mallorca, Spain is cancelled. Refunds can be made via point of purchase. Apologies to all planning to attend- we were really looking forward to this show and hope to come back soon. 📷: @gaelleberi
Saturday, August 17th
– If you’re in a sleuthing mood, you should attend “Mystery in the Museum,” at the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art. The night will feature puzzles, riddles, and brain teasers. $20, 6 pm.
– Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Woodstock at the Van Buren, who is bringing in three tribute acts to take you back to the time. 8 pm, $15 standing admission or $25 for seats.
Sunday, August 18th
– Celebrate champagne and sparkling wine at Beckett’s Table, where you can enjoy a variety of drinks by the glass or bottle. They’re also offering a special 3 pour sparkling flight for $16. 5-9pm.
View this post on Instagram
Our July #btbottleshock is a perfect mid week treat, Wednesday nights, Summer Sippers $13 – The Monterey Vineyards 2015, Triennes Rosé 2017, Stoller Rosé 2018. #beckettstable @chefbeckettaz #montereyvineyard #triennes @stollerwine #sitbackandenjoyyourflight #winewednesday #wineflight
– Hear all of the obscure anecdotes surrounding people, places, and events that took place in Arizona as a part of History Underground at Valley Bar. Tickets are $5, 7 pm.
Monday, August 19th
– Enjoy an acrylic painting class hosted by Vino and Canvas taking place at SanTan Brewing in Uptown Phoenix. The two-hour class will be hosted by an instructor and let you unleash your creativity. 6 pm, $45.
Tuesday, August 20th
– Papa Paul’s Brick Oven Pizza is hosting a delicious four-course meal that will be feature paired wines from Chacewater Winery. Tickets are $70 and include tax and gratuity. 6:30 pm.
– American folk-rock band The Avett Brothers are heading to Comerica Theatre for a show starting at 7:30 pm. Hear your favorites from “No Hard Feelings” to “Ain’t No Man.” Tickets are available starting at $49.50.
Wednesday, August 21st
– It’s time again for Speed Dating at Helio Basin Brewing Co., hosted by yours truly (PHX Fray). It’s a great chance to enjoy happy hour pricing on food while you mix and mingle with other singles. $25, 7 pm.
– Head to the Crescent Ballroom for The Lost Boys Night – an 80’s dance party featuring Tim Cappello. This is a great chance to hear some great tunes and boogie down. General admission is $15 for the 7 pm show.
Thursday, August 22nd
– Dance the night away at Valley Bar as DJ Gila Man spins a range of eclectic vinyl selections. Free at 9 pm.
Friday, August 23rd
– “Espectacular De Lucha Libre” is taking place at The Van Buren, which is a night celebrating lucha libre, live DJs and bands, and homemade tacos. GA tickets are $15, with ringside tickets starting at $22.
Saturday, August 24th
– Attend a yoga class taking place at The Heard Museum. The all-levels class allows you to enjoy the environment of the museum and includes admission. $10, 9:30 am.
– You can catch a special live taping of the award-winning podcast “The Fantasy Footballers,” at the Crescent Ballroom. The Arizona-based trio has climbed to the top of the sports podcast word and their live shows are always entertaining! $26, 8 pm.
Sunday, August 25th
– Some of the best tattoo masters and up and coming artists are going to be at the Hell City Tattoo Festival taking place at the Arizona Biltmore. Enjoy the convention and entertainment all day. $25, 12-8pm.
View this post on Instagram
Ben Amos: @bendeadtattoos Rebel Muse Tattoo: @rebelmusetattoo 🔥Hell City Phoenix: @hell_city🔥 🌵August 23rd-25th: @arizonabiltmore🌵 BOOK YOUR ROOMS BEFORE THEY SELL OUT! Be sure to contact The @arizonabiltmore directly at 602-955-6600 or 800-950-0086 to book your rooms! Don’t forget to Mention "HELL CITY" for a Special Festival Rate! #hellcity #hellcity2019 #hellcitytattoofest #hell #festival #hellcitytattoofestival #artwork #tattoo #art #convention #artist #tattooartist #arizona #hellcityatthebiltmore #tattoos #hellcityphoenix #therapture #hellcityarizona #phoenix #flowers #benamos #bendeadtattoos #flower #rebelmuse #rebelmusetattoo #roses #rose
– The Van Beer’N indoor beer fest features over 30 breweries so that you can try your share of the best brews in the valley. Plus, there’ll be a BBQ on the patio. The event is free to attend, but you can purchase advanced tasting tickets online. 12-5pm.
Monday, August 26th
– Do something different on your Monday and attend the 2019 Arizona Good Food Expo, where you can enjoy different samples of local ingredients and products. It’s a great way to build relationships in the community. 11am-3pm, $25.
View this post on Instagram
How do you find, grow, clean, serve, and prosper with Good Food in Arizona? Join us at the #AZFoodForum to learn and grow together. See you April 30th & May 1st at @agritopiafarm! Thank you to the @DiscoverGilbert, the Johnston Family Foundation for Urban Ag, and @bcbsaz for your sponsorship. Click the link in our bio for tickets. . . . #GoodFoodAZ #LocalFirst #LocalFirstAZ #FarmtoSchool #ArizonaFarming #EatLocal #urbanfarming #growlocal #AZGrown
– Get down in the lounge at Crescent Ballroom with “Groove Theory,” a night of collaboration and music improv. 8pm, free.
Tuesday, August 27th
– The Alamo Drafthouse in Tempe is hosting a showing of cult classic Hot Rod, starring Andy Samberg. 7:30pm, $11.35.
– Country singer-songwriter Kacey Musgraves is heading to Comerica Theatre as a part of her “Oh, What a World” tour. Resale tickets are available starting at $65. 8 pm.
Wednesday, August 28th
– Valley Bar is hosting a blind wine tasting so you can test your palate on different types of wines. Tickets are $15 and the tasting is at 7 pm.
– The Normal in Tempe is hosting a “Geeks Who Drink” pub quiz that features eight rounds of live hosted trivia and an extended happy hour. Up to six players per team. Free, 7:30 pm.
Thursday, August 29th
– The Royse Contemporary Gallery is hosting a celebration for their two-year anniversary. Attend to celebrate the various artists that have graced the walls. RSVP online. 7-9pm.
– Hear a tribute to Radiohead’s iconic album “The Bends,” led by a group of Phoenix musicians taking place at Valley Bar. Tickets are $10 in advance for the 8pm show.
Friday, August 30th
– Spend your Friday tasting a variety of food at Food Truck Friday West, taking place at Pioneer Community Park. 6-10pm.
– It’s ASU night at the ballpark! Watch the D-backs take on the LA Dodgers and represent ASU at the same time. Ticket packages include a co-branded t-shirt. $35, 6:40pm.
Saturday, August 31st
– Art Battle Phoenix is an experience where artists have twenty minutes to transform their blank canvases into works of art. You can vote on your favorite piece at the end of the night. 6-10pm, $10.
What’s on your to-do list this month? Let us know using #PhxFray or #FrayLife.
Looking to stay cool during these hot times? Refresh yourself by finding Water in the Dusty Desert.
GET OUR WEEKLY EMAIL »