We want to wish an official ‘Happy New Year’ to all of our Fray Fam – and kick off the first full week of events around the Valley so that you can start 2019 by having as much fun as you did to end 2018.
If you somehow still have energy after surviving the holidays, there is plenty to do in the upcoming week, so read below, then get out and get the new year off to a great start.
Wednesday, January 2
– The ice rink is still open over at CityScape in Phoenix, and they’re hosting a “Skate it Forward” night to benefit the Arizona Science Center. $5 from every ticket will go to the Teen Advisory Board of the museum. The total cost to skate is $15. Times are 5:30-7:30pm and 8-11pm.
– Hang out at Valley Bar for a “Soul Deluxe Live” session with DJ Byron Phoenix. The Soul Deluxe session broadcasts live via Radio Phoenix.org to over 14 states. You can dance to the blend of disco, electronic, hip-hop, and more all for free starting at 9 pm.
Thursday, January 3
– It’s time to paint and sip over at The Duce, where you’ll be guided step-by-step on how to recreate a work of art from 5-8pm. The Duce has a great variety of food and beverages available for purchase throughout the night. Materials provided. Tickets are $45.
– Enjoy a night of comedy at Stand Up Live, where Sidney Smith will be performing. The comedian has toured around the country and shared stages with the likes of Judd Apatow and Sinbad. Tickets are just $15.
Friday, January 4
– It’s the first Friday of January and the first Friday of the new year, so you should consider heading to the Art District downtown for the First Friday Art Walk! The monthly event features street performers, vendors, and of course, multiple art exhibits to enjoy. Plus, it’s free! From 6-10pm.
– Club 90’s is taking over the Van Buren and bringing you “Selena Night,” where you can party and celebrate the Queen of Tejano music. The venue will be playing all of her hits as well as throwbacks from the ’90s and early ’00s. Tickets are $12 in advance or $15 the day of show. 10 pm.
Saturday, January 5
– Enjoy Irish pub food and craft beer at Seamus McCaffrey’s and a live performance from “Cockswain,” a high energy Celtic rock group that brings a punk rock attitude to their shows. The music starts at 9:30 pm and is free.
– FilmBar is showing the classic Tommy Wiseau’s film, “The Room,” starting at 10 pm. It’s described as a “misguided masterpiece that subverts the rules of filmmaking…rendering mundanities as acting, screenwriting, and cinematography irrelevant.” You’ll be quoting it nonstop after you see it – trust us. Tickets are $9.95.
Sunday, January 6
– Get your Sunday morning off to a good start with a free yoga and jazz experience at Civic Space Park. DiRTYYOGA and the Solomon Trio combine yoga poses with music for an event where all levels are welcome. Enjoy the weather during the session that runs from 10:30am-12pm. You can register online.
– Test your knowledge on all things 2018 with a Super Trivia “Year-in-review” night at Crescent Ballroom. See what you can remember about current events from last year while enjoying food and drink specials all night and a chance for awesome prizes. Starts at 5 pm and is free!
Monday, January 7
– Put on your dancing shoes and head over to One World Dance Studio for the kickoff to “Bachata Mondays.” The studio is offering a free Bachata class from 8:30-9: 30 pm for the new year!
– Head over to local bar The Lost Leaf in Phoenix for happy hour until 7 pm, then enjoy a live jazz performance starting at 9 pm by Modern Jazz Quartet, Jiggle. The band features improv, original compositions, standards, and more to enjoy.
Tuesday, January 8
– It’s a new year, so why not head over to the Phoenix wellness market from 10am-1:30 pm at the Health Sciences Education Building downtown? The wellness market features healthy food vendors selling local goods, much like a farmer’s market. There will also be free health screenings from professionals. The event is free!
– La Luz De La Luna is a collaborative ensemble that brings an intimate approach to Latin music. The women in the band are passionate about traditional Mexican styles and strip down their performances for a night of great music. Free at Valley Bar, starts at 8 pm.
What do you have planned for the first week of the year? Show us how you’re making fun possible in the new year by tagging #PhxFray and #FrayLife on social!
What’s that? You feel like getting out of Phx a little this January? Here’s how to have a fun-filled escape the Phx Fray way!
View More Articles By Emily Holloway
GET OUR WEEKLY EMAIL »