It’s July! Summer is in full swing and you’re probably looking for ways to get out of the house without completely melting. Fortunately, Phoenix still knows how to have a good time despite the heat and there are plenty of awesome events to keep you cool for the month!
Monday, July 1st
-Get ready to be creative and head over to Jobot Coffee for a Drawing Night Collective. Bring your own paper (drawing materials are available) and enjoy drink specials and a live DJ.
– English rock band The Struts are playing at the Marquee as a part of their Young & Dangerous Tour 2019, featuring guest band Glorious Sons. 6 pm, $25.
Tuesday, July 2nd
– Stay active this summer with the FitPHX Fall into Fitness series taking place at the A.E England Building located at Civic Space Park downtown. The social fitness experience is for all levels and feature classes ranging from Zumba to P90x LIVE! Registration is free. 6 pm.
– Test your knowledge on the hit science fiction TV series the X-Files with a night of trivia at Valley Bar and get $1 off craft beer cans. Registration starts at 7 pm. Free.
Wednesday, July 3rd
– Last Exit Live is hosting “Peaks and Valleys,” a dance and electronic music show featuring a range of live DJs. Tickets are $7, cash at the door.
– The third season of Stranger Things is kicking off, and you can head to La Gattara Cat Lounge & Boutique for a marathon of the first four episodes. Bring food and drinks and enjoy cuddling with cats! . $25.
Thursday, July 4th
– The All-American Festival takes place from 5-10pm at the Peoria Sports Complex that features a range of family-friendly entertainment, a cornhole tournament, and fireworks display around 9:15 pm. Free admission!
– Westgate Entertainment District presents a Firework Fest that includes a variety of “grab and go” dinner deals from restaurants, two music stages, and of course, lights. Starts at 5 pm, free admission.
View this post on Instagram
We have something for everyone! Stand up paddling, kayaking, rowing, you name it -we teach it. Check out our website for all beginning, intermediate, and competitive class opportunities. tempe.gov/boating #rowing #standuppaddling #SUP #kayaking #kayak #paddling #crew #tempe #arizona #ASU #tempetownlake #watersports #learntoRow #introToSUP #introToKayaking #yoga #SUPyoga
– The July 4th Tempe Town Lake Festival benefitting the Kiwanis Club of Tempe features live entertainment and a 35-minute firework show choreographed to music over the lake. General admission is $8. Gates open at 5 pm.
Friday, July 5th
– Pioneer Community Park in Peoria is hosting Summer Food Truck Friday, featuring a long list of food trucks to enjoy trying. There’s also a huge splash pad and a live DJ! 6-10pm.
– Will we ever be tired of talking about First Friday in Downtown Phoenix? Probably not, take the time to enjoy a variety of art displays, museums, food, and more. 6-10pm.
Saturday, July 6th
– Celebrate the life of Frida Kahlo with a free community festival taking place at Mucho Mas Art Studio. The day will feature a panel discussion, free crafts, a DJ, a fashion contest, and much more! Noon-4pm.
View this post on Instagram
Such an awesome art workshop! Thank you to @awkward.mami.art for teaching such a fun class! Stay tuned for more workshops, we’re currently putting together a new series! ❤️✂️🎨🔥🌵🙌🏽❤️ Posted @withrepost • @awkward.mami.art Grateful. Proud. Happy. 💕 . . Simple felt craft workshop for you, huge step for me. 💐 . . So happy to kick off this fun-filled Frida week with this craft workshop and so grateful for all who joined me. Thank you all! 💕 . . #inspiredbyfrida #fridakahlo #phoenixartist #crafting #introvertsinbusiness #introvertsinthewild
– If you’re a New Found Glory fan, you’re going to want to grab a ticket for their tour over at the Van Buren. The rock band is touring with punk band Real Friends, as well as The Early November and Doll Skin. 7:30 pm, tickets are $26.
Sunday, July 7th
– Have you tried mead yet? The alcoholic drink is made by fermenting honey and water. Bottleshop 48 in Tempe is hosting a complimentary tasting featuring selections from local Superstition Meadery. 4-6pm, followed by live music.
– DJ Byron Fenix hosts Soul Deluxe Live, where he spins a variety of sounds ranging from disco to funk and beyond. Dance the night away at Valley Bar starting at 9 pm.
Monday, July 8th
– FilmBar is partnering with Zia Records to bring cult favorite movies to the big screen. Enjoy a screening of “UHF” starring Weird Al Yankovic and Kevin McCarthy. The night will feature giveaways from Zia as well. Tickets are $9.95 for the 7:30 pm showing.
Tuesday, July 9th
– Practical Art will be setting up shop to sell handmade, local goods at The Coronado restaurant. This is a great way to hang out, grab some great food, and support local. Light snacks will be provided. 7-9pm.
View this post on Instagram
Independents week seems like the perfect time to announce our awesome #collaboration with Bunky Boutique! We now have a wonderful selection of #curated clothing options for everyone. Join us next Sunday (July 7th, from 1-4) for a little celebration 😉 What you can expect: •COOL new shirts and clothing from @bunkyboutique •We will be accepting the @localfirstaz #GoldenCoupon (20% 0ff your entire purchase!) •Beverages from @rattleandrum #practicalart #bunkyboutique #indieweekaz #supportlocalartist #supportsmallbusiness #sundayfunday #phxart
– Singer/songwriter Shawn Mendes is on tour and heading to the Gila River Arena. You can still snag tickets – ranging from $64.75 and up. The show starts at 7:30 pm.
Wednesday, July 10th
– Edelweiss Biergarten is celebrating their birthday all week long, and you can enjoy the festivities that include getting your first 16oz beer for $1. There is also live music every night! 11am-10pm.
– You can make your own serving tray at Art with Me AZ in Surprise. The studio allows you to BYOB as you create this art project that includes step-by-step instruction and all required art supplies. $65, 6 pm.
Thursday, July 11th
– Learn how to make a range of authentic and Chinese-American restaurant favorites at home in the “Skip the Takeout” cooking class at Taz Cooks. You’ll create an entire meal from scratch and enjoy it afterward. $69, 6-9pm.
– Attend Risk! – a live podcast where people tell true stories they never thought they’d share in public. The award-winning show happens monthly in New York and Los Angeles and is coming to Crescent Ballroom. $20, 8 pm.
Friday, July 12th
– 3 Vintage Chicks in Cave Creek is hosting their semi-annual “Flea for All” event, where you can shop, enjoy food and beverages, and more. 5-9pm.
View this post on Instagram
We've been painting this whole booth in CeCe Caldwell's Paint Fargo Frost with a Dover White Wash and sealed with Endurance. It's a perfect combination. #3vintagechicks #cececaldwellspaints #nauturalchalkandclaypaint #yourdestinationtoshop #yourshoponcavecreekrdinphoenix #bestpaintever
– Get your dancing shoes on for a good cause and head over to Valley Bar for Party With A Purpose! The $3 entry fee will be donated to The Phoenix Legal Action Network (PLAN) this month. Enjoy funk, boogie, disco, and more. 10 pm.
Saturday, July 13th
– SanTan Brewing Company is celebrating Christmas in July! The event will feature a limited release of Winter Warmer, a spice winter ale. You can enjoy house-made ginger snaps and Smoked Turkey Tamales. Head over to the Chandler Pub between 9am-11am.
– The FOUND:RE hotel and Veuve Clicquot (French champagne house) are partnering for a RE:fresh pool party! There will be fun games, music, and food and drink specials. 11am-5pm.
Sunday, July 14th
– Who doesn’t love an old-fashioned ice cream social? Enjoy a guided tour of the 1895 Rosson House in Downtown Phoenix and afterward enjoy an old-fashioned ice cream sundae. Croquet is available to play as well, and costumes are encouraged! $15. 1-3pm.
– Hugh Jackman is hitting the Gila River Arena stage and performing songs from all of your favorites (Les Misérables, The Greatest Showman, and more!). Accompanied by a live orchestra, the show is going to be epic. You can still snag tickets starting at $44.75. 7 pm.
Monday, July 15th
– Grab a glass of wine and test your knowledge with some Monday night trivia at Rott n’ Grapes RoRo. 7-9pm, free.
View this post on Instagram
sparkle. @belluswines – Located behind @StockAndStable www.honoraz.com – #Mixologists #InstaCocktails #PhoenixLounge #CocktailThieves #Speakeasy #Cocktails #Drinkstagram #Mixology #HonorAZ #HonorAmongstThieves #Cheers #PhoenixBar #Bartenders #DrinkLocal #DrinksofInstagram #CocktailsofInstagram #PhoenixNights #PhoenixNightlife #CreativeCocktails #CocktailCreations #Phoenix #EEG @eveningentgroup
– It’s Mezcal Monday at Honor Amongst Thieves. You’ll taste unique mezcals created from agaves that took 10+ years to reach maturity and learn all about the rise in the spirit’s popularity. 7:30-8:30pm.
Tuesday, July 16th
– REI in Paradise Valley is hosting “Rattlesnakes! Fact or Fiction?” from 6-8pm. The class will go over how to stay safe in the outdoors and what to do (and not do) if you see a snake. Live rattlesnakes and Gila monsters will be on display. Free with registration.
– Rapper 21 Savage is heading to Comerica Theatre for his “I Am > I Was” tour. Enjoy his hits from “a lot” to “Bank Account.” Tickets are still available starting at $39.50. 8 pm.
Wednesday, July 17th
– Show off your skills in a Super Smash Bros Ultimate. tournament at Bookman’s in Phoenix. The winner-takes-all event gives you the chance to win prizes like gift cards and tickets to the Game on Expo. 6-9pm, free with registration.
View this post on Instagram
Here’s the finished community collaboration that we did for our Record Store Day 2019 festivities! It finally found a home on our wall to hang in all of its glory. We couldn’t have done it without @sabree.art, our staff, and all of our customers who helped us celebrate that day! . . #bookmansphx #coolcovered #art #music #rsd2019 #rsd #community #phoenix #arizona #localart #phxart #artproject #collab #collaboration #mosaic #recycledart #boombox #cds #vinyl
– American garage rock/psych rock band The Growlers are heading to The Van Buren for their Rinse & Repeat tour. Grab tickets for $32.50. 8 pm.
Thursday, July 18th
– The Arizona Storyteller’s Project is celebrating its ninth birthday with stories about journalism taking place at The Van Buren. The “Stories About Stories” night will allow you to hear the news behind the news. Tickets are $12. 7-8: 30 pm.
– Catch musical comedy duo, Regan and Watkins, as they perform at Stand Up Live. Both have appeared on a variety of platforms, from The Eric Andre Show to Jimmy Kimmel Live. $15, two drink minimum. 8pm.
Friday, July 19th
– Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats are playing at the Comerica Theatre. You can enjoy their Americana/folk sound and sing along to songs like “You Worry Me,” and “S.O.B.” Grab some tickets for the 7:30 pm show starting at $35.
– Sip on some craft beer and play some bingo at the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art. The night will be full of competition and good brews! Cash bar and snacks available as well. 7 pm, $15.
Saturday, July 20th
– The Wurst Festival Ever is back – hosted by Short Leash Hotdogs and Rollover Doughnuts. The event celebrates National Hotdog day and will feature a competition for the best frank, local comics, and more. Tickets are $10. 5-10pm.
– The Van Buren is being transformed for a Stranger Things 80’s Night! Celebrate the show and come dressed in your best attire from the decade. Featuring a photo booth, DJs, and more. Starts at 10 pm, $8.
Sunday, July 21st
– Head to Old Town Scottsdale for the 1st Annual Cien Agaves Tequila Festival. The event will feature tastings of a range of premium tequilas, drink specials, light bites, music, etc. The $25 ticket includes 10 samples, a swag bag, and more. 1-4pm.
– FilmBar is showing” My Neighbor Totoro”, a film by the iconic Studio Ghibli. The screening is presented by Trees Matter, an environmental education nonprofit. Tickets are $12 for the 2:30 pm showing.
Monday, July 22nd
– Indie folk band The Head and the Heart are performing at Comerica Theatre as a part of their Living Mirage Tour, featuring opener Hippo Campus. Tickets available starting at $38.
– The Groove Theory is a night of improv and collaboration that you can enjoy for free starting at 8 pm at Crescent Ballroom.
Tuesday, July 23rd
– The best thing about the Diamondbacks is that the stadium stays nice and cool in the summer. Enjoy doing something different and watch them take on the Orioles at 6:40 pm. Tickets start at $15.
– Are you a Marvel movie fanatic? Put your knowledge to the test with a Marvel Universe movie trivia night at Growler USA. Free to register, 7-9pm.
Wednesday, July 24th
– If you’re trying to stay active and hike during the summer, you should attend the “Hikes to Escape the Heat” seminar to learn all about great trail alternatives in the higher elevations of the state. 6-7pm. Free. Just Roughin’ It Adventure Company.
– Yours truly (PHX Fray) is hosting a Speed Dating event at Helio Basin Brewing Co., giving you the chance to meet people in person and connect! The night will feature an extended happy hour and more! 7 pm, $25.
Thursday, July 25th
– The patio at OHSO Brewery in Paradise Valley stays cool with misters for you to enjoy a paint night on the patio. For just $19, you can paint a set of fun summer coasters. All materials provided. 7-9pm.
– Help benefit the community by participating in a charity auction. The “Robin’s Firefighter Bachelor Auction” gives you the chance to win a date with a firefighter (if you have the winning bid) with a date package valued at over $300! Tickets are $50 that include appetizers, beverages, and a chance to mingle with the men beforehand. 7-10pm. The Park Street Food Bar & Beer Garden.
Friday, July 26th
– Head to the Nash for their emerging artist series, featuring Richard Brennan. The Brennan Sextet is comprised of Arizona native jazz musicians who will perform a range of classics and originals. $15, 7:30pm.
– Changing Hands Phoenix is hosting a Harry Potter Party, featuring a variety of themed activities, butterbeer, and more. Tickets are $15. 8-11pm.
Saturday, July 27th
– PHX Fray (hello) is hosting a Bikini Bash Bar Crawl to give you a reason to party in the Phoenix heat! The old school style bar crawl will hit a range of bars, starting at Phoenix Ale Brewery Central Kitchen. Registration includes 4 free drinks and specials along every stop! Tickets start at $18.
– The Real, Wild & Woody Beer Festival is Arizona’s coolest indoor craft beer festival taking place at the Phoenix Convention Center. Over 300 ales, wild brews and barrel-aged beers will be available to sample. Admission includes 20 of these samples and small bites. $60 presale, with VIP packages available. 2-6pm.
Sunday, July 28th
– Get your bathing suit and head over to Maya Day and Nightclub for a pool party featuring DJ duo Tritonal. Doors open at noon, tickets are $10.
– A Little More Jazz Etcetera with Pinna Joseph and Charles Lewis is taking place at Changing Hands Bookstore in Phoenix, where they’re performing a range of jazz and Broadway tunes as well as a random assortment of other genres. $15, 3-5pm.
Monday, July 29th
– Ska punk band Streetlight Manifesto is performing at the Van Buren as a part of their Thieves in The Night tour. Tickets are $25, show at 7:30 pm.
– The Alamo Drafthouse in Tempe is showing Quentin Tarantino’s film Inglourious Basterds at 7:30 pm. Tickets $7.
Tuesday, July 30th
– Art Unraveled is an all-day event (9am-6pm) featuring a variety of mixed media workshops and art events. The workshops are taught by a variety of artist instructors. Prices for the workshops vary. More information on their site.
– Jurassic Park FanFest is taking place at Flix Brewhouse in Chandler, where you’ll get a free souvenir glass, enjoy a special menu, and watch the iconic film. $7, 6:30 pm.
Wednesday, July 31st
– Third Eye Blind and Jimmy Eat World are touring together and heading to Ak-Chin Pavilion in Phoenix. Tickets are $29.50. Show at 7 pm.
View this post on Instagram
Saturdays are concert days! Today we’re seeing Brooks & Dunn and Reba. 🤠 🎵 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Tip: we buy some tickets far in advance but we also keep our eyes out for last-minute deals. We get ticket prices at a fraction of the cost doing this! Our go-to ticketing app is @gametimeapp because it’s mobile based and super easy to use 🎶 code TAYLOR763 gets you $5 off your first purchase! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ What concert are you going to next?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ #RichLivingLessSpending #ConcertGoers #Budgeting
Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments and don’t forget to tag us on socials using #PHXFray and #FrayLife